• Blog Slide
  • Blog Slide
  • Blog Slide

Know the Health Risks Involved with Individuals Who Live in a Home with Water Damage

Written by admin on November 24, 2013. Posted in Black mold pictures, Cleaning water damage, Hvac vent cleaning

Black mold detection

According to the American Insurance Association, Water damage is the 2nd most frequently filed homeowners claim, and the 3rd largest cause of homeowner loss in the United States. Almost 40% of all U.S. homeowners have reported loss due to water damage. Not only can water cause damage to your home and belongings, but it can also cause damage to your body through a number of health risks.

Standing water remaining from floods is a breeding ground for microorganisms. According to the American Lung Association “bacteria, viruses, and mold can become airborne and be inhaled, putting people at risk for lung disease.” With the reports of sewage and toxins in the water, flood-waters will likely exacerbate the growth of microorganisms in a home that experiences water damage. Even when the flooding is due to a fairly clean source, such as rain water, the growth of these microorganisms can cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Coming into contact with air or water that contains these microorganisms can make a person sick, as well.

When homes experience damage from water, mold can grow all over the house. Mold can only grow to be about as thick as a couple of dollar bills, on any surface. Despite the mold not growing to be very large or thick, it can still require air ducts cleaning, ceiling cleaning services, and other professional residential and commercial cleaning services for mold removal. If you suspect the presence of toxic mold in your home, never attempt to remove it yourself. Doing so can release large quantities of spores into your home, making the mold situation worse. Although a professional clean up process can take a long time, seeking the professional services of a water damage restoration team is necessary and beneficial to protecting your health and your home!

Trackback from your site.

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.