This criminal justice system in the United States is a many headed beast and can very difficult to understand for those who are unfamiliar with it. Whether you need to ask the question what is a criminal lawyer, who is a criminal lawyer, or how much are criminal defense lawyers, then there are a few facts about the criminal justice system that you should know.
1. Did you know that the first civilizations did not generally distinguish between civil law and criminal law? It was not until communities became larger that this distinction became necessary.
2. There are a variety of duties that fall under the umbrella of criminal law. One of the lesser known ones is that Government supervision may be imposed, including house arrest. Those who have been convicted of a crime may be required to conform to particularized guidelines as part of a parole or probation regimen. This could include things like drug rehab, alcohol rehab, or even anger management classes.
3. Five objectives are widely accepted for enforcement of the criminal law by punishments that usually include jail or prison sentences. These objectives include retribution, deterrence, incapacitation, rehabilitation, and restoration.
4. When asking the question what is a criminal lawyer, there are a few other terms that you should learn as well. Including actus reus, which is Latin for guilty act, and is the physical element that is required when committing a crime.
5. Although many people believe that murder is the only crime that does not increase during the full moon, there is no actual scientific evidence to suggest that the full moon has any effect on crime rates beyond rumor. Though some of the less professional federal criminal lawyers might attempt to argue it as a defense. Helpful links.